Sunday 9 June 2024

Flash Fic Challenge: The Mysterious Aversion to the Obvious

 The Mysterious Aversion to the Obvious

Sometimes, I swear, the practice of treating what should be obvious as a giant mystery really gets my goat statue. Emma Stone and the Mystery of the Roomful of Hats. Please. You can't think of a really blatant reason why a medusa like me might want to cover her 'hair' when out and about in a so-called 'normal' part of town? You think people like me never have to get groceries, or visit other people, or move through space from one location to the next?

Gee, do you think we just appear in a single room when it's convenient for you, and don't exist otherwise?

Or it's Emma Stone and the Mystery of the Giant Penny. Which, granted, is partly on me. Call me a fool, but I did expect people to actually use their eyes and notice that my bike has painted wheel--covers. Yes, they are painted like pennies, it's a reference to the early pennyfarthing bicycles, but honestly.

Use some common sense. Actually think about the world instead of jumping to wild conclusions about everything that's even a smidge outside of your concept of 'normal'.

Or don't, if you're feeling lucky. I can always take off my hat and sunglasses and make sure that you're actually as hardheaded as you act, if that's what you prefer?

2 comments:

Jeff Baker said...

Oh, that's good!

Jeff Baker said...

Just posted the much-delayed results for the Flash Fiction Draw Challenge for June. Loved your story! (Yes, I'm back from my vacation!!) Here's the June 2024 #flashfictiondrawchallenge stories! Enjoy! https://authorjeffbaker.com/2024/06/16/an-aversion-to-crimes-not-in-the-june-flash-fiction-draw-challenge-a-little-late-june-16-2024/