Friday 24 February 2023

Aro Week: Emma Stone

 

It's Aro Week! I'm going to spend it talking about some of my published aromantic characters.


Today: Emma Stone from

Create My OwnPerfection: "It's not every day you get to put the fear of Medusa into a god."
Emma Stone, medusa, is the groundskeeper for Olson College of Extensive Education, a place where everyone is welcome, from the mythical to the magical. When her selkie best friend loses her skin in Fresher's week, the race is on to find it before someone uses it against her.
The search brings Emma face to face with her oldest enemy - and forces her to confront the worst nightmares of her past.



Create My Own Perfection is very much a case of 'If you can't find what you want to read, write it yourself'. Emma is something of a loner, fiercely independent, a survivor with a small group of close friends who do not hesitate to back her up. Nor does she hesitate to help them if they need it. Emma is aroace, with no interest in, or desire for, anything other than friendship, and she thrives in the life that she has built for herself.



A short sample: "Ok, Tara," I said, once we'd settled up what I owed her for the coffee. "Spill." Over my cup, I watched her rich brown eyes for clues. The first one, which I almost missed, was her coffee creeping up the side of the upright cup, trying to reach her to comfort her.

Tara's a selkie. Like me, she can almost pass for human, provided no-one looks too closely at the sleek silver-brown hair, or the seal's eyes, or the way that water truly adores her and acts that bit livelier around her. (It's a bonus for mopping floors, less so when she has to change a light bulb)

She glared her coffee into behaving, sipped, and swallowed. "I lost my skin," she whispered, just this side of a mourning keen.